Silver Jewelry Care
- Wear your silver jewelry often! The natural oils in your skin actually help maintain the shine of silver.
- If you don't wear it often, store jewelry in an airtight container. Small plastic bags work great! Silver tarnishes from exposure to certain elements; turning it darker, yellow, or even black in color.
- Put your jewelry on last, after applying any makeup, perfume, or other cosmetics.
- Sunlight can tarnish silver, so avoid exposing your jewelry to strong sun.
- Remove jewelry before household cleaning, swimming, or other activities that could expose it to sweat, chlorine, cleaning supplies, rubber, etc.
- Don't bend silver jewelry! You can make small adjustments when first purchasing, but the more you adjust silver, the weaker it becomes. Eventually this can ruin the carvings and structural integrity of your jewelry.
The best way to clean silver jewelry is through a specialty jeweler.
We also keep our silver shiny by regularly buffing it with silver polishing cloths (widely available in stores and online).
A fun tip we learned from jewelers in Thailand is to polish your silver using Sam Fong Hoi Tong traditional Chinese face powder. Although this hasn't been verified by other specialists, it's a gentle technique that's super effective in bringing shine back to silver.